Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesOther - Car Makes · 1 decade ago

Do i have to tell the dvla if i want to change the colour of my car?

My corsa is purple but i want to change the colour to gloss black, am i required to tell the dvla about this?

Favorite Answer

yes

• YES if it is a recognisable change of COLOUR as Purple is to black.

but from purple gloss to purple metallic the answer would be NO as the DVLA has only a limited number of colour names,,, if you change the category name of the colour then you are required by LAW to notify the DVLA (not doing so results in you being liable to imprisonment and FINE).

I can agree with you a purple Corsa is only marginally better than that lime green to purple colour changing paint!!

Yes you do have to tell them. I Hired a car a few years ago and it got stolen.When police got back to me they said it was not the colour I had told them. I found out later that the person I hired it from had not notified dvla that he had changed colour. I know he got the car back and a letter from dvla saying he should have notified them of any change to any of his cars.

• TAFF

Yes

yes. your registration doc has the colour of the car specified and any changes have to be reported. also please note that future buyers maybe more wary if they notice that the colour has been changed because although this is done for genuine reasons sometimes, some folk have other motives.

Yes you are. It might even say so on the V5 document. Check also if your insurance company needs to know as well.

Unfortunately, yes you do, if you look on your registration documents (V5), the colour of your car will be stated, this will have to be changed.

Yes and the date you did it.

YES you have to inform them

• sister

Yes you do have to