Really poor AM reception from my car radio?

My truck FM radio works great, but even new it has always gotten really poor AM reception. And it has gotten worse. Other vehicles get very good reception in areas where mine gets nothing but static. Anything I can do to improve ????

Replace your antenna. It was probably bad from the factory.

Fm will work with a marginal antenna. AM requires a good antenna and connection.

Seeing as AM is not improved by an antenna, there is likely something internally with the radio that is affecting the reception of your AM radio. Most radio's manufactured today do not have a decent AM tuner. Most of the technology goes into improving FM reception as AM is not used as widely.

If the radio is an aftermarket one, check all of your connections, especially your ground connections. If it is a factory unit, try placing an aftermarket unit in (simply to test) and see if the AM reception improves. They do have AM boosters you can purchase and install with your radio, though I have never used one and cannot say for certain whether they work or not.

You did not indicate the nature of the poor reception you are experiencing. However, one common problem on AM reception that results in a loud buzzing sound that seems to increase with speed is the use of the wrong type of spark plugs. There are high and low resistence plugs and, as I recall, a mismatch with your ignition system can actually produce a local broadcast signal from the ignition system that is strong enough to affect AM reception.

Buy you an antenna booster at Radio Shack . I purchased one for my truck and I run whips and I can pick up Atlanta 100 miles away from my destination at Ft bennning Georgia.

get a filter or reception booster from best buy or circuit city, this will help on the noise

Source(s): personel experience

go to a radio technician