Has anyone had a DIY layered haircut? If so how was it done and how did it turn out?

The reason behind this question is my hubby and I cut each others hair. I shave his head and he trims mine to a reasonable length - this is because we don't earn alot and have to save money any way we can. Now, I fancy a change of hairstyle and my hubby remembers seeing a TV program where the hairdresser... show more The reason behind this question is my hubby and I cut each others hair. I shave his head and he trims mine to a reasonable length - this is because we don't earn alot and have to save money any way we can.

Now, I fancy a change of hairstyle and my hubby remembers seeing a TV program where the hairdresser gathered all the hair up into a pony tail on the top of the head and then just cut the pony tail off. This produced a nice layered cut which just needed a little tidying up. I, however, am not sure about this and want to see it demonstrated before I do something so drastic...

So basically if you have had this or another simple method used on you, how did it turn out? Do you have a picture anywhere so I can see how it went? Or do you know of a website where this technique is demonstrated?

Thanks all of you lovely people for your help