what is the best (& cheapest) way to soundproof windows from a noisy street?

I live in a town centre flat which is listed & I cannot replace the windows. The noise coming in the windows is deafening in the morning & I am looking for a way to reduce the noise without it costing me a fortune.

• Boris

The easiest way is double glazing, but is expensive.

The next best thing is seconday glazing where removable panels are affixed to the inside of the windows. These can be glass, perspex or plastic. Whatever is used, there must be a tight seal against the window frame - draught excluder tape works for this.

At the end of the day, double glazing is the best solution, other that bricking up your windows.

The addition of fully line curtains helps. No only does it reduce the noise by acting as a baffle, in the winter months, it helps retain heat, especially if they are floor to ceiling ones.

Soundproofing Windows Diy

• Joe K

Use 2 layers of very heavy velvet curtains. You will need to space both layers about 2 to 3 inches apart so you will put the first set of curtans inside of the window frame up aganst the window and then another set outside of the window frame.

If you want to go cheaper than that, get a couple of sheets of drywall and cut them to the size of the windows and sit them on the window sill. You might want to paint it black or with some other design so that it would not be an eyesore to your neighbors.

I would think there would be little difference in the amount the house will heat up from the sun regardless of single or double pane windows. Having UV or tinted coatings (which come on some newer windows) might cut down on the warmth. But, as you point out, double pane glass will retain that free warmth longer after the sun goes down. And if it gets too hot, you can just draw the curtains.

Use three layers of cloth as shears and drapes. Separate each layer by two to four inches. Also use wall hangings inside the room. You can go to a fabric discount store and get the cloth cheap.

You have my sympathy. I live in Manila Philippines and here the noise never stops.

I use the drink holders from fast food restaurants. I collect enough of them to cover the window, then staple them to plywood cut to fit the window. You can add more layers to block more sound.

Cork is the best insulator from noise-

lined curtains and ear plugs

• Pobept

heavy full length curtains will be helpful

EAR PLUGS OR MOVE