Why do Americans pronounce Van Gogh like "Van Go"?

When everyone else especially the Dutch know it's pronounced with a CH like in Scottish loch, which is soft, not like in lock. And a G in dutch is pronounced like an H. I get why you have different pronunciation for words from British English, that's just normal divergence of language. Do you also pronounce... show more When everyone else especially the Dutch know it's pronounced with a CH like in Scottish loch, which is soft, not like in lock. And a G in dutch is pronounced like an H. I get why you have different pronunciation for words from British English, that's just normal divergence of language. Do you also pronounce Scottish surnames the way you read them, like the English do ? - such as Dalziel (should be pronounced Dee-yell), Menzies (should be pronounced Ming-iss), Lamont (should have stress on first syllable).
Update: I would like an answer rather than an anti-British rant.
Update 2: Would like to hear if any Americans with these Scottish names mentioned pronounce them as we do? I thought maybe people's names were less likely to change pronunciation over time than other words.