Anonymous asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 1 decade ago

Are the Royal Family German?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Ron C
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Up to William & Harry, yes. Philip isn't actually Greek at all, even though his uncle was king of Greece. He's from the same stock as QEII. He's Danish on one side & Battenburg on the other. They're cousins.

soozn79 & emma make some mistakes: The Hanoverians ceased to be at the end of Victoria's reign, when Edward VII ascended the throne with his father Albert's name (Saxe-Coburg & Gotha (Victoria and Albert were 1st cousins on her mother's side)); the royal family changed its names during the First World War, not the Second. Battenburg (Prince Philip's family) become Mountbatten; The House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha became The House of Windsor in 1917, when George V changed it. Since the name change was retroactive to the beginning of George V's reign, the Saxe-Coburg and Gotha dynasty consists solely of Edward VII.

And Victoria's mother wasn't Belgian; there wasn't even a Belgium until 1830. I believe her brother (Queen Victoria's uncle) was the first King of the Belgians, but that did not a Belgian her mother make.

In a way, though, there's no such thing as "having German blood." What makes someone British is having British citizenship. In that respect, the Windsor are as British as anyone else, though one might well argue that most of H.M. the Queen's direct ancestors weren't born in the British Isles.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 decade ago

They have Very German bloodlines.

Around the time of the second world war, the family's name was Hanover (a German name) and they decided to change it to Windsor (their name today) to make it sound more English because of all the anti-German sentiment going on then.

They are very closely related to Germany's Kaiser Wilhelm II, as well as Russia's last tsar (or "king"), Tsar Nicholas.

Compare photos online of the Kaiser, the Tsar, and England's Kind George V and King George VI. They look like BROTHERS, it's freaky. The Queen actually has living relatives that are a spitting image of those men.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: I misspoke. I meant WWI. And YES THEY WERE HANOVERS, Ron C. Queen Victoria's FATHER's last name was Hanover, hence her name and the family's (REAL) name was Hanover. Thank you, I DO know what I'm talking about. Maybe you should do a little research before accusing people. Go to wikipedia and search for Victoria's family tree.

Father HANOVER Edward Augustus Of, b. 2 Nov 1767, Buckingham, London, England, Great Britain

Mother OF SAXE-COBURG Victoria Mary Louisa, b. 17 Aug 1786, Coburg, , Germany

• 1 decade ago

They have a German bloodline. The royal families of Europe at this point are all somewhat related because of the smallness of the line.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They are two thirds German and one third English from the habit of marrying German Princes. Prince Albert husband of Queen Victoria was German and King George the fifth's wife Queen Mary was part German on her father's side.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Which royal family? There's so many of them in Europe! But most of them do carry German royal blood (if you believe in those things) because of intermarrying across the centuries...

• doucet
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

It became into any opposite direction around. A German dynasty became the British Royal family individuals The protestant branch of the residing house of Stuart became into the final dynasty to originate in the British Isles. while it became sparkling that Queen Anne would not be waiting to grant delivery to a right away inheritor, parliament gave the throne to the closest collateral branch that became into protestant. George I of Hannover (elector/king of a German state) became into that guy or woman..

• 1 decade ago

The 'English' Royal family are, and Prince Phillip is Greek.

Not the sort of thing true-blue monarchists like you pointing out.

IMHO it's another reason to encourage the royals to retire....

• Thermo
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Certainly not. In Europe thera are many royal families of different countries. However by royal marriages there is a bit of mixing.

• 1 decade ago

Absolutely not. There are German bloodlines (through her great great grandfather Prince Albert, and through her Grandmother Queen Mary. However Elizabeth is at LEAST a SIXTH generation Brit. And her mother's family are descended from Scotland. I'm fifth generation Canadian -- the sixth was from Scotland, but I certainly have no right to call myself Scotish!

• 1 decade ago

Part German, House Of Windsor have German background I remember Queen Victoria was half Belgian, she married Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha who probably was German. Her first born daughter Victoria became Empress of Germany.

Queen Elizabeth is a descendant of Victoria, so she may be part,or whole, whatever. Anyway Queen Elizabeth married Prince Phillip (Prince Philip Mountbatten, duke of

Edinburgh) his father was prince of Greese and his mother was princess of Battenberg of German royalty.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.