How many human (homo sapien) generations have there been since the beginning?

I am looking for a scientific answer. I'm not as interested in a religious answer like how many generation since Adam and Eve.

The first species of the genus Homo appeared about 2.5 million years ago. The first Homo sapiens appeared about 160,000 years ago.

During the last 1500 years and before the advent of birth control, the average length of a generation has been 30 years. This is known from accurate genealogical records. It is calculated by dividing the number of generations into the years elapsed. I'm sorry I don't have a reference for this. It is born out by my own genealogical work with numerous lines over 10 generations and the lineage of an acquaintance who was descended from Mohammed (his was 29.5). Also, I have seen many other genealogical results close to 30 years per generation.

Using 30 years per generation, Homo appeared 83,000 generations ago and Homo sapiens appeared 5,300 generations ago.

• joe4 years agoReport

Impossible, ur math is seriously flawed, without really running the numbers, equating death possibilities and so on, no way man would have evolved. Not enough timr. Not enough ppl....how do u say one mutation equals 7 billion ppl now...u cant and u know it

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): human homo sapien generations beginning: https://shortly.im/PQitJ

I don't have a concrete answer, but you could probably suss it out yourself if you assign a few definitions. First of all, you need to determine what is meant by 'the beginning'. It's been difficult to pinpoint the precise time Homo Sapiens first appeared on Earth, but you might use 3 million years as a rough estimate.

Then it's a question of how many years constitutes a generation. I'd say twenty, since you're talking about the average time between birth of the parents and birth of their first child. Establish your own figure for the generation period. From then on, it becomes a math question.

The time for generations was shorter in the past. As soon as a female could give birth, she propagated the race. The time to sexual maturity was a little older in the past than now, but the time to actual pregnancy is longer now. Using an 18 year old time span (assuming 1/2 of the children are born female and it takes 3 years between births) would yield, assuming homo sapiens has existed for 160,000 years, there would be approximately 9000 generations.

• Zenas1 year agoReport

It's over 9000!!!

The experts continually adjust the estimated time since Homo Sapiens first appeared - I recently heard 200,000 years ago. If you assume that the average until fairly recently was to have a child by 20, then this would make around 10,000 generations. That's just a reasoned estimate - I could be miles out!

Dyatel42

Wow. If you find out, I'd like to know too.

In trying to find an answer, you need to define what you mean by 'beginning'. Beginning of all time, when mammals were starting their split from reptiles and amphibians in evolutionary time and descended in primate form, or beginning as in humans as defined by a particular point in time and place. Because to date, I do not know where or when they could pinpoint exactly the find of a 'first human' here on earth. There have been numerous early 'finds' of modern man in various continents. Therefore, to calculate the time period, or generations, that have elapsed since then would be impossible to estimate, much less calculate exactly. For now, I believe we have to be content with the average, roundish figures given by archaeology/science as to the number of years homo sapiens have been around, which is approx 100,000 to 200,000 years ago. (notice the exactness! *ironic*)

So I would say, friend, that this question requires in-depth study, knowledge and understanding over a long period of time. I can recommend some sites for further study, perusal at your leisure. Enlighten us when you find an answer.

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_sapiens (in particular, the 'Evolution' section and 'Habitat and population') Also check out: https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/

There are some good guesses in here and some good thinking about the rise of the hominid and of h. sapiens.

Since going back more than 100,000 years starts to get us into all sorts of evolutionary boondoggles, I never try. I mean, we can talk about australophicus but nobody really knows the life cycle of those little guys.

But what we can do with confidence is go back to the first human civilization, the dawn of history. How many generations have there been since the first permanent human settlement at Ur by the mouth of the Euphrates to now. How long did it take to go from Sumarians to Southeby's? About 250 generations. 250. That's all.

It gives me the shivers.

One Homo Sapien generation

Source(s): Common Sense

There are actually 4 evolutions of man.

1. Hominid - a primate belonging to a family of which the modern human being is the only species still in existence.

2. Homo habilis - an extinct ancestor of the modern human being (Homo sapiens) living approximately 1.5 million years ago and characterized by its ability to make and use tools

3. Homo erectus - an extinct ancestor of the modern human being (Homo sapiens) living approximately 1.5 million years ago and known by fossils to have had an upright stature, a smallish brain, and a low forehead

4. Homo sapiens - the species of modern human beings, the only extant species of the family that also included other species named Homo.

This is a difficult question to answer scientifically since there is no good way to determine scientifically how long homo sapiens have been around. There are too many abirtrary assumptions in dating the fossils and too much variation in the results.

Scientific or Religious Communities of "Researchers could never come up w/an approximate % of Sapiens that were never recorded because, because of some kind/s of Natural Disasters that have occur ed during mans Dawning in it's overall existence. It's like trying to find every "Language Ever Spoken By Man'There have been many lost tribes of People/s in the name of Conquest & for Rude Introduction/s of Language. Just like when Dear O'l England got invaded by hords of people that wanted Conquest.

Source(s): Self.