My letting agency isn't paying the British gas bill. What should I do?

I'm a uni student. And from Christmas we have been getting letters from British gas, saying we haven't been paying our bills. Although it is our letting agency's responsibility to pay all bills. We told them in January, and they said they have sorted it and ignore any other letters we get. So we did.... show more I'm a uni student. And from Christmas we have been getting letters from British gas, saying we haven't been paying our bills. Although it is our letting agency's responsibility to pay all bills. We told them in January, and they said they have sorted it and ignore any other letters we get. So we did.

Until just recently our Internet and tv was cut off. We found out they haven't been paying that either! So we got paranoid, and decided to open the British gas letters that we had been getting. We were shocked to see they were final demands! Even though we gave one of the agency's staff a couple of the bills to take with her to sort out, it clearly hasn't because this morning we got a letter saying that they are going to take legal action.
Debt collectors will come round if it is not paid!! We've told them so many times, but they haven't sorted it! There's three of us living here, and we always pay our rent in full. We're tired of chasing them about it. It's a lot of money, What should we do?