is budapest a good place for a holiday?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends on what kind of holiday you are looking for. I am originally from Hungary having lived in London for 14 years.

Budapest is perfect as a citybreak for a long weekend. It is a big city full of life, a lot of culture and history. Plenty of sights and museums to visit, lovely outdoor/indoor thermal spas, great food, concerts, operas and good nightlife.

Summer is probably the best time of the year to go as it is at it's liveliest however bear in mind that it gets very hot in the summer months and there is no sea nearby Hungary being landlocked.

The Danube divides the city into two halves but by no means you can call it a 'pair of cities' as one of the people answering your question has. It is one city, the capital of Hungary and is not referred to as a 'pair of cities'.

If you were planning on a longer holiday, I would spend 3-5 days in Budapest, then would travel to other parts of the country, especially the western side (west from the Danube) has a lot of lovely cities and towns to visit. Lake Balaton (about 2 hours from Budapest) is a very popular place to visit in the summer. It is one of the biggest lakes in Europe with shallow and quite warm water and a lot of life and partying.

Enjoy!!

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes,it's lovely. Lots to see and do.The tourist signs are in Hungarian and English. A dinner-and dance trip on the river Danube in the evening is unforgettable. Waltzing on deck to a four or six piece orchestra while the boat cruises under the beautiful bridges all nicely lit up,and the castle and palaces nicely lit too,is so dreamy.....just lovely. There are boats with disco music,jazz,folk/gypsy music,all sorts.You could do a boat trip down the Danube to to Vienna,too....it's wonderful. Or do one way by boat and the other by bus or train. It's quite cheap for the journey,but shopping in Vienna is expensive. Beautiful city though. Easyjet flights to Budapest carry loads of people who are going for the cheap dental work. There are dozens of dentists. Just walk in off the street,pay the money (really cheap),get the cleaning,fillings,extractions or whatever,done,look around the city for the rest of the day and fly home in the evening......same-day service and cheaper for the whole trip than getting the work done in UK......For shopping,the market halls are amazing. The Great Market Hall by the Liberty Bridge is the biggest. You could spend all day in it. http://www.budapest-tourist-guide.com/budapest-mar... ...On the edge of town is a huge fruit-and-veg market. St. George's Market. There are St. George's everywhere in Budapest. .Get the number 14 tram from Ferenciek Ter (the hub of the city) and get off where it terminates half an hour later. Then follow the crowds through a doorway in a long brick wall....I did so from curiosity and found the most amazing market behind it. From the street you wouldn't know it was there..I had a sherry and coffee with lunch in the market cafe,since everyone else seemed to be doing so,and it was a real local treat. The quality of produce on sale was amazing. They sure eat well there.I only got on the tram to see where it went and have a ride out somewhere,intending to get it straight back into the city,but then saw the crowds going through the door in the wall,and followed them ....Budapest is like that....there are so many things to discover. The only problem is the language. Hungarian is one of the world's most difficult languages,and unlike any other language in Europe. It is more like Finnish. The accent is on the first syllable in most words,so the hub mentioned above is pronounced FErenciek ter. It's a friendly and warm-hearted place though and I've had some lovely times there. Totally recommended.

• 3 years ago

Budapest has a great deal to present, uncover what with hotelbye . Museums and galleries, churches and synagogues, palaces and traditional houses, baths and pools; all are shown together with the impact of Secession in the city. In Budapest you may have the distinguished sensation that something from the standard is simply nearby, but what it is likely to be is your responsibility to find out. One of the places you must see in Budapest is towered on the Danube and is the Castle Hill. Castel Hill includes lots of Budapest's most critical ancient monuments and museums. Also, undoubtedly probably the most magnificent of the remarkable structures is the 18th-century Buda Castle, a massive 200-roomed palace that, like much of the city, is spectacularly illuminated at night.

• 1 decade ago

Budapest is wonderful in the summer! I spent most of last summer there and always had a wonderful time. It is quickly becoming a top European destination.

Every weekend during the summer, they have a festival on the Chain Bridge and an abundance of dance clubs that keep the party going until the sun comes up. There is a big variety of foods and culture to discover and some wonderful shopping. You will not be disappointed.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 years ago

Capital of the Republic of Austria and one of Europe's most visited towns, Vienna (Wien) owes a lot of their elegance and wealthy history to its wonderful place on the banks of the wonderful Danube River. Vienna is the spot you wish to spend your holyday therefore don spend anytime and get more info with hotelbye . Vienna was, for ages, the gate way between West and East Europe; it absolutely was the normal nucleus of the after vast Habsburg Empire, and even today remains Austria's most critical industrial and cultural hub. Vienna remains to attract visitors with its several good ancient web sites, as well as for the active program of functions and entertainment.

• 1 decade ago

I loved it when I went.

It is made up of Buda and pest two places accross the river from each other. When I went we got the best massage in the world!! for really cheap

• Leo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Hi, i did cycle there some years ago from the UK..I had quite a good time and it was cheap then but i do not no know it will depend on the exchange rates

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It it is an interesting pair of cities if you like architecture, history, rivers and so on!

Source(s): 62 Cynical years drinking tea by an Aga in a castle with an Abacus, an Orrerey, an Almanac and a ginger tomcat.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes,lots to see & do.Also get cheap Dental work there.

• Orla C
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It's a lovely city, you definitely should go.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.