• What made people think the Las Vegas Knights would ever beat the Capitals to win the Stanley Cup?

    Best answer: 3 reasons (of many): Let's start with recency bias and the continued failure of 200 Hockey Men. Marc-Andre Fleury had a SPCT close to .950 going into the Final. The assumption was that he'd continue this, despite the fact that his career playoff SPCT was under .910 (it's now .911). He was below .890... show more
    Best answer: 3 reasons (of many):

    Let's start with recency bias and the continued failure of 200 Hockey Men. Marc-Andre Fleury had a SPCT close to .950 going into the Final. The assumption was that he'd continue this, despite the fact that his career playoff SPCT was under .910 (it's now .911). He was below .890 in every game in the Final was barely above .850 in the Final. I'm honestly shocked how many people thought that he had somehow become that much better and had somehow re-invented himself (this does not happen). If you flipped a coin and it landed on tails 10 times in a row, over a large sample size it's going to be roughly 50% heads and 50% tails. They teach this basic math concept.

    While Vegas was a strong possession team, you need to look deeper (warning-analytics explainer coming). What Washington did VERY well was 2 things: dominate the crap out of teams at 5v5, and generate high danger shot attempts. Vegas dominated getting low-danger shot attempts (think from the points or from the blue line), but those attempts didn't result in goals (and they normally don't).

    Ovechkin. Simply put, he is, in every possible sense of the word, better than anyone else and getting shot attempts in the league, and it's not even close (he's in Gretzky/Lemieux territory when you start adjusting for era meaning if you put him up against the flaming piles of crap that were NHL goalkeepers in the 1980's he starts producing 140-180 point seasons). He's been doing this since the 2005-06 season. He's a shot-generating machine, and he scores goals. It's almost like hockey is a sporting contest whose object is to score more goals than the other team. Meanwhile your 200 hockey men talk about compete level and that he "wants it" which is narrative-driven garbage.

    I'd also add Vegas playing facepuncher Ryan Reaves. Grandpa on CBC might like him because Grandpa (Don Cherry) is senile and probably wears an onion belt, but he's a liability on the ice (if he's hitting people it means they don't have the puck which means he's playing defence and he's not particularly good at it). People pointed to the goal he scored in game 1, and ignored the fact that he got caved in during games 2-4 before they finally benched him. Putting Reaves on the ice opposite Ovechkin is like trying to keep up with Ovechkin's drinking on that 5+ day bender he's been on.

    I'll give credit to Micah Blake McCurdy, whose analytics model (@ineffectivemath) had Washington winning from the start (she picked Washington back in October). She also nailed Pittsburgh winning in 2016 and 2017.

    Winnipeg/Nashville "should" have been your West Final. I had Tampa/Washington and Nashville/San Jose as your Final Four with Tampa and Nashville in the Final.
    11 answers · 2 weeks ago
  • Wayne Gretzky vs lebron james?

    Best answer: Gretzky wasn't just a great player, but he was a great team player and leader - something that LeBron is not. It is very hard to win a team sport all by yourself.
    Best answer: Gretzky wasn't just a great player, but he was a great team player and leader - something that LeBron is not. It is very hard to win a team sport all by yourself.
    12 answers · 2 weeks ago
  • Whats your opinion on the golden knights?

    12 answers · 4 weeks ago
  • Why am I such a bad hockey goalie?

    Best answer: There are drills you can do that will improve your hand-to-eye coordination and your reflexes and side-to-side movement. Some involve throwing a ball against a wall. They have 'reaction' balls with six sides that are designed to give unpredictable caroms off a wall. Keep taking the lessons on positioning,... show more
    Best answer: There are drills you can do that will improve your hand-to-eye coordination and your reflexes and side-to-side movement. Some involve throwing a ball against a wall. They have 'reaction' balls with six sides that are designed to give unpredictable caroms off a wall. Keep taking the lessons on positioning, but work on moving side to side rapidly.
    5 answers · 3 weeks ago
  • Why The Washington Capitals Didn't Have A Single NHL Stanley Cup Finals Victory Since 1998 This 2018?

    Best answer: They might be cursed team in NHL but, They'll win more than one game because They got the best player in the series.
    Best answer: They might be cursed team in NHL but, They'll win more than one game because They got the best player in the series.
    11 answers · 4 weeks ago
  • Shall I always?

    Shall I always fight back if someone attacks me Does eye contact show bravery
    Shall I always fight back if someone attacks me Does eye contact show bravery
    7 answers · 4 weeks ago
  • Now that Golden Knights are going to the Stanley Cup final, will they be the only 1st year expansion team to win the Stanley Cup or no?

    Best answer: The predictive model I've seen (the one that has proven to be the most accurate over the last 4 seasons and one that has favoured Washington since the start of the playoffs) has Washington with a 62% chance of winning the series, Vegas with a 38% chance.
    Best answer: The predictive model I've seen (the one that has proven to be the most accurate over the last 4 seasons and one that has favoured Washington since the start of the playoffs) has Washington with a 62% chance of winning the series, Vegas with a 38% chance.
    18 answers · 1 month ago
  • Who Will Win The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Finals?

    Best answer: My pick is the Vegas Golden Knights.
    Best answer: My pick is the Vegas Golden Knights.
    7 answers · 4 weeks ago
  • Will hyperloop hurt air travel from lax to sfo or Vegas to la?

    Best answer: No, it’ll probably never happen.
    Best answer: No, it’ll probably never happen.
    4 answers · 1 month ago
  • How much money are the referres being paid in tampa bay? Should powerplays be disabled in playoff hockey?

    Best answer: They missed a few calls tonight, but it doesn't mean you don't have penalties. Not how it works.
    Best answer: They missed a few calls tonight, but it doesn't mean you don't have penalties. Not how it works.
    4 answers · 1 month ago
  • Will I get a refund for game 7 tickets in the playoffs if it turns out there is no game 7?

    For an example, let’s say if I already bought tickets for a game 7 for my hockey team but if it turns out there is no game 7 and if my team’s season ended early in the playoffs, will I be able to get a refund for the tickets or are all sales final? Do people really buy tickets ahead of time for a game 5, 6, or 7 in... show more
    For an example, let’s say if I already bought tickets for a game 7 for my hockey team but if it turns out there is no game 7 and if my team’s season ended early in the playoffs, will I be able to get a refund for the tickets or are all sales final? Do people really buy tickets ahead of time for a game 5, 6, or 7 in the playoffs even if there is no guarantee it will go to any of those games?
    3 answers · 1 month ago
  • Why isn’t Brad Marchand allowed to lick his opponents faces anymore?

    Best answer: It's unsanitary, and a violation of personal space, and it's a transparent attempt to provoke a violent reaction.
    Best answer: It's unsanitary, and a violation of personal space, and it's a transparent attempt to provoke a violent reaction.
    8 answers · 1 month ago
  • Favourite nhl team?

    Best answer: Washington Capitals
    Best answer: Washington Capitals
    7 answers · 2 months ago
  • How many hockey games are in a series?

    5 answers · 2 months ago
  • Who started it: oshie or letang?

    Best answer: The video I saw showed Letang slashing Oshie, then Oshie returned the favour, and then it was off they went.
    Best answer: The video I saw showed Letang slashing Oshie, then Oshie returned the favour, and then it was off they went.
    4 answers · 2 months ago