The Colts have made a bunch of changes this offseason:
1. The Colts are currently in contract negotiations with RB Ahmad Bradshaw who helped the Giants win two Super Bowls.
2. They added Darrius Heyward-Bay at WR who runs a 4.2 second 40 yard dash and was a former 1st round 7th overall pick.
3. The added a super fast (4.3 second 40), big and strong Laron Landry from the Jets at Safety. The dude is a beast! Look up pictures of him with his shirt off.
4. They added Gosder Cherilus to the offensive line to protect Luck. He did a great job of protecting Stafford and helped him get his couple of 5,000 yard seasons.
5. They added what some consider one of the top 3 CB's in Greg Toler from the Cardinals to play opposite of Davis. Heard he looks awesome in OTA workouts.
6. They added a number of pass rushers. They drafted Werner in the 1st round to replace lagging Freeney. Werner has been compared to Kruger (Ravens) and Jared Allen (Vikings). They added Lawrence Sidbury (Falcons) and Walden (Green Bay).
7. They added Hasselbeck as backup QB. Great veteran for helping train Luck.
8. They beefed up the defensive line with a number of 300+ pounders with Ricky Jean Francois (49ers), Aubrayo Franklin (Chargers), Josh Chapman (beast of a NT from Alabama that can push back 3 offensive linemen all by himself), and Montori Hughes (a 6'4, 340 pound beast that is as fast as a pass rusher). Yes, Hughes is literally 340 pounds AND that fast.
9. Then they drafted two big versatile 300+ pounders to beef up the offensive line in Thornton (Illinois) and Holmes (USC) that can move to different sections off the offensive line if a player on the offensive line gets injured. Not to mention they added Donald Thomas (Patriots) to the offensive line.
10. They drafted an extremely fast safety from Oregon in Boyett that had nearly the fastest 40 yd dash time in the draft even while being injured.
11. They drafted a good TE in Cunningham (Sout Carolina) that reminds me a lot of their TE Dwayne Allen who as a rookie was the best rookie TE and 3rd best TE in the NFL last year (veterans included).
12. They drafted a good punt returner in Williams (Utah State).
13. Griff Whalen is coming back healthy and he plays like a young Wes Welker.
14. They replaced Arians with Pep Hamilton (former OC for Stanford, with a good background with NFL teams). I think Peps system is better suited for the team than Arians system even though Arians system worked fairly well.
To me, it looks like they can play much more physical this year with far bigger, faster and stronger offensive and defensive lines. Their secondary looks by far the best I've ever seen it, going from a secondary composed where nearly all the players were non-drafted and it couldn't stop anything to guys that can truly make names for themselves and potential be among the best in the league. They replaced Avery with an even better receiver. And the nearly all rookie team from last year has those rookies with some experience now along with quite free agent veterans added to the mix. Then to round out and fix the last little weak spot they bring in an RB like Bradshaw.
I'm excited about this year. Many say the Colts will have a sophomore slump. But this year they have far more money to spend, far more experience, and they added a ton of free agents not to mention the additions of good players that were out all year last year injured.
So knowing that, do you think they'll slump and do worse than last year. Or will they do better and knock off the Texans for the AFC South title and make a good run in the playoffs. Keep in mind they beat the Texans at home last year and nearly beat them on the road.