So I made a batch of eggless cookie dough, cuz my family and I like eating the dough raw. I go to give it a taste test, and then when I try it, there s this strange metallic/vegetable taste in my mouth. I tried it again, and the same thing happened. So to test it further, I asked my dad; he tasted it and he agreed that there was something funny about the cookie dough.
Being a hypochondriac and also having Generalized Anxiety Disorder, my first thought was mercury poisoning, but IDK how likely that is.
I threw out the rest, but I want to make another batch tomorrow. What I used is:
-Gluten Free Flour Mix cuz some of us in the family are gluten intolerant.
-1 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum.
-1 teaspoon of baking soda.
-1 teaspoon of baking powder.
-1 teaspoon of salt.
-1 cup of white sugar.
-1 cup of brown sugar, which was kinda rock-hard in some spots.
-Half a stick of shortening.
-1 stick of margarine cuz I m dairy intolerant.
-1 teaspoon of vanilla.
And some milk to make it more pliable.
I have a few hypotheses:
-I could have used too much baking soda and not known.
-The baking soda is old and has gone bad, which would be weird because I used it 2 days ago for cookie dough and it was fine.
-It was the brown sugar.
-A piece of the foil from the shortening got into the mix.
Is there any chance it could have been poisoning? Or was it any of these? I d like to make a better batch tomorrow.