I checked it out from my high school library and remember enjoying it, but my memory is hazy and I can't recall the title.
- If I had to pick a genre, I'd call it suspense, possibly mystery.
- Can't remember exactly when it was written, but it was definitely pre-21st century. Was set in what would be present day at the time of writing, so I'd say between 1970 and 1990 or so.
- Main characters were an English girl of about 13, and an Italian-American boy who was a few years older.
- Girl and her father moved to the United States, but nobody in town has actually seen the father. Girl insists that he's just very busy.
- Girl and boy strike up a friendship, and he eventually learns that she's poisoned her crazy abusive mother with cyanide-laced cookies. I can't remember whether the father met the same fate, but I think he did.